Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hand Pump Update


I posted a blog over a year ago about the hand pump I put in my well. It is a fantastic pump. You asked for photos and I am embarrassed to say it has taken this long for me to get the photos posted. There are two photos here. I am also re-posting some of the pump information for you in case you missed the prior blog.

This first photo is a distance shot of the whole operation. In Front is the hand pump. On the left is my ultraviolet light and filter set up. In the back on the right is the pressurized tank. Note there is not much to the hand pump. The handle is light and easy to pump. I have the pump hooked up to the pressurized tank but you can also unhook it from the tank and pump into a bucket. 



This second photo is a close up of the pump going down into the casing. I wish I had them drill me a second hole for a clean-out opening but did not think to ask for that. I have my original electric pump coming out of what could have been a clean-out opening.






Here is some prior data I had posted previously:
This is a non-electric pump for my well water. It is in the well on top of my electric pump.
It is not just any hand pump. Originally, I was looking at the old-fashioned pitcher pump. The same exact type of pump my grandmother had on her well. However, I realized early on in my search for the perfect pump that there are now new and improved pump options. After careful consideration of all the pumps available I went for what I consider to be the best choice on the market. It is called the Simple Pump. Indeed it was simple to put in and simple to pump. We placed the Simple Pump right over the current electric pump without a problem. However, this is not just any hand pump. This pump can be hooked up to electricity as a primary electric pump if I wish. Additionally the creator of this fine pump had the forethought to make a pump that it is easily hooked up and used with solar power if I wish. I have not done either of these things currently, although I may hook it up for solar use eventually. Living in the Pacific NW that is not something I am jumping at first thing. I do like the option to be able to easily hook it up to solar though.

When I last wrote this blog, the manufacturer did not supply the solar set up, but they have added that on. You can now buy everything through the manufacturer of the Simple Pump. I know this sounds like an ad, but no I am not on their payroll. Just like the pump.

There are many things I like about this pump.  I have the choice of pumping the water into a bucket or I can hook it up to my pressurized tank and pump the water right into the tank rather than a bucket. When the electricity goes off here, rather than going out and pumping into a bucket, I pump directly into my pressurized tank and the water still goes into my house and comes out of my faucet and into the toilet. Wow, that is a far cry from my grandmother having to carry water. You can’t fill the whole pressurized tank, as eventually the pressure is too much to pump against. However, it beats carrying the buckets and is much easier to use out of the tap.  It is made right here in the USA and wow is it quality workmanship. The parts are cut and ground with skill. It is not every day you see such brilliant workmanship.

You can find cheaper pumps, but I doubt you can find a better pump or more versatile pump. If you want more details on this pump you can go to  http://www.simplepump.com
(I  have no affiliation with this company.) If you are in the Eugene, Oregon area and need a person to put this in for you, I can give you the name of the gentleman who helped me put mine in. It is definitely a two person job.