Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Genetically Altered Cows Make New GMO Cow Milk

A genetically modified cow that produces milk thought by the frankenscientists in New Zealand who created it, to be less likely to cause allergic reactions in children.

Up to 3% of infants are allergic to cows' milk in their first year of life. Some scientists in New Zealand decided to make a genetically modified cow that produces milk without beta-lactoglobulin - a whey protein that can cause milk allergies in some people. However, I would point out that is not the only reason people react to cow milk or milk in general.

An interesting thing happened when they made the genetically engineered calf. The calf has no tail. The scientists say that could not possibly be related to their genetic manipulation. However, we know there is often collateral damage to plants that are genetically modified. This research certainly makes me feel like that lack of tail is proof that there may also be collateral damage to cows when you mess with their dna. I don't think the scientists can rule it out. You do wonder what else is changed in the cow or the milk it produces. (By the way, the calf had not yet given birth and was not old enough to make milk, so the scientists forced it to make milk with hormones.)

Of course, what I am saying, is why not just use breast milk from mom if we are talking about infants under 1 years of age?  It is true that mom's milk does not contain the beta-lactoglbulin that cows do, but that is not the only difference. Babies should be drinking their moms milk, not cow milk. If mom is having trouble making milk, there are herbs to help her. If mom does not want to breast feed, what is mom doing with an infant anyway?

I have all the parts given me by nature .
I am one of the many people who can not drink or use cows milk. I will skip on the frankencow  milk myself. I am happy with my goat milk. By the way, my goats all have their tails and none are on hormones. I suggest we make sure the milk we buy in the future comes from local folks whose farms we have visited. Make sure they don't have frankencows or frankengoats being raised there.

You can find the BBC report at this link.